Lip-Smacking Variety Rice in Five Minutes
Step 3: Making the Tamarind Rice
- Now take steaming hot rice in a pan, and add the tamarind paste, as much as required. Do not add salt again. You may add a bit of oil to moisten it further after the rice is made. Enjoy Tamarind Rice with a papad or a papadam
THE PERFECT COCONUT RICE
Coconut Rice or Thengai Saadam, as it is known in Tamil, is my personal favourite in the line of flavored rice. Coming from the kitchens of South India, where coconut grows in abundance, this brand of rice is special – because, it needs to be consumed fresh. Ideally, soon after cooking — as coconut goes rancid soon, that too in the heat of the Southern Indian climate. This rice is also my favourite because it takes virtually no time to prepare, and a hot, piping meal is ready in no time.
COCONUT RICE | THENGAI SAADAM
Coconut rice is one of the many flavoured rice varieties from the kitchens of South India. It is made of desiccated coconut and spices and is a meal in itself.
- 2 cups Cooked Basmati Rice
- 1 cup Fresh Grated Coconut
- 3 tsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Urad Dal or Split Black Gram
- 2-3 Whole Red Chilies
- 2 Finely Chopped Green Chilies
- 8-10 Groundnuts
- 10-12 Curry Leaves
- 2 tsp Cold Pressed Coconut OIl
- A pinch of asafoetida
- Salt to Taste
- In a mixing bowl, add the cooked rice and spread it out evenly to cool
- Heat cooking oil in a kadhai. Once the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds and let them crackle. Now add the Urad Dal, asafoetida, green chillies and the curry leaves.
- Once the curry leaves sputter, add the red chilies and the groundnuts. Keep frying it for a minute. Make sure to keep the flame on low else the groundnuts will turn black.
- Finally, add the grated coconut and keep stirring. Turn off the flame just as the coconut is turning golden brown.
- Add this entire tempering to the mixing bowl with rice. Add salt. You may optionally add a teaspoon of sugar if you wish.
- Mix the entire rice with a flat spoon careful not to mash the rice or break it. Finally, add two teaspoons of cold pressed coconut oil to the mix