Powder Mixes: Yummy Food Options for the Single Person
- 2 tsp Cooking Oil (Optional)
- 1 cup Black Sesame Seeds
- 1 cup Urad Dal or Skinned Black Gram
- 10-15 Curry Leaves
- 8-10 Whole Red Chilies ((according to your spice taste))
- A pinch of asafoetida
- Salt to Taste
Whether you are a singleton or not, I would strongly recommend that you taste these mixes once in a while, just as a variation to your regular cooked meal. I cannot emphasize enough on the enormous flavors that these powder mixes bring to your dining table. And yes, adding a dash of homemade ghee on top of the hot rice, and these powder mixes on top of it – you will love these powder mixes. Bon appétit!
- Take a cooking pan or a kadhai. Add a teaspoon of cooking oil to it. As mentioned before, you can also dry roast the ingredients. First up, add the sesame seeds and roast till they give out aroma. Set the roasted sesame aside.
- In the same pan, dry roast (or with oil, according to your choice), the Urad Dal. Once it changes colour to golden brown, add the curry leaves and the red chillies. Roast till the curry leaves turn dry and crumbly. You would notice that the red chillies have turned into darker red, or slightly black also.
- Let all these roasted mixtures come to room temperature.
- Add the sesame seeds, roasted dal, curry leaves and red chillies to a blender. Add salt and a pinch of asafoetida. Blend this mixture to a coarse powder. I like the mixture to be slightly coarse in texture. If you like a fine powder, go ahead and grind it to a fine powder.
- You can store this without refrigeration for about three weeks easily. I would recommend that you make quantity just enough for three weeks. Since this is an easy recipe, you can always make it fresh every time.